1. 181 Sturt Street

    181 Sturt Street was the home of Mahomet Allum, an Afghani herbalist and healer. It was later the office for Romani International Australia and the Australian Romani School of Gypsy Culture and Language. 

    Historical Place | By Vedrana Budimir, History SA | Southwest corner | 1880s, early twentieth century, late nineteenth century, late twentieth century, mid twentieth century

  2. Adelaide

    The city of Adelaide refers here to the area within the outer boundary of the parklands; that is, the ‘square mile’ of the commercial centre, plus North Adelaide, the city’s first suburb.

    Historical Place | By Peter Morton | early nineteenth century, early twentieth century, early twenty–first century, late nineteenth century, late twentieth century, mid nineteenth century, mid twentieth century

  3. Adelaide Botanic Garden

    The Adelaide Botanic Garden is a tranquil retreat within the city.

    Historical Place | By Margaret Anderson, History SA | East Terrace

  4. Adelaide Brewery

    Adelaide Brewery was an early colonial enterprise. While brewing has long ceased there, the building survives in a different guise.

    Historical Place | By Alison Painter | late nineteenth century, mid nineteenth century

  5. Adelaide City Baths

    Adelaide’s City Baths were a prominent and important social institution for more than a century from their opening in 1861

    Historical Place | By Peter Bell | 1860s, 1880s, early twentieth century, late twentieth century, mid twentieth century

  6. Adelaide Fruit and Produce Exchange

    The striking facade from Adelaide’s private produce market in the north east corner of the city remains a city landmark, though the market itself no longer operates.

    Historical Place | By Hannah Stewart, History Trust of South Australia | East Terrace | 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s

  7. Adelaide Gaol

    One of South Australia's earliest buildings and home to over 300 000 people from 1841 to 1988, Adelaide Gaol is one of Australia's longest operating prisons.

    Historical Place | By Rhiannon Agutter, History SA | Parklands | 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s

  8. Adelaide General Post Office

    The classically styled freestone Adelaide General Post Office was constructed in the late nineteenth century and housed both the post and telegraph offices which connected Australia with the world

    Historical Place | By Dr Julie Collins, University of South Australia | Northwest corner | 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2010, 2010s

  9. Adelaide Mosque

    For over a century the Adelaide Mosque has provided a centre for prayer, community and celebration.

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | Southwest corner | 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, early twenty–first century, late twentieth century, mid twentieth century

  10. Adelaide Observatory

    The Adelaide Observatory complex was located in the West Parklands between the ends of Currie Street and Waymouth Street.

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia

  11. Adelaide Town Hall

    The classically inspired Adelaide Town Hall was opened in 1866 and accommodates council chambers and civic reception rooms. It remains a notable landmark in Adelaide today.

    Historical Place | By Dr Julie Collins, University of South Australia

  12. Adelaide Workmen's Homes

    Cottages built for workers through a bequest from businessman and philanthropist Sir Thomas Elder

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | Southeast corner | 1890s, 1900-1910, 1960s, 1970s

  13. Anzac Arch

    Anzac Arch was built as a monument of appreciation to the men who fought in the First World War.

    Historical Place | By Catherine Manning, History Trust of South Australia | North Terrace | 1910s, 1920s

  14. Archbishop's House

    Archbishop’s House, formerly known as Bishop’s Palace, was built in 1845 as the residence for the Roman Catholic Bishop of Adelaide, Francis Murphy. 

    Historical Place | By Vedrana Budimir, History SA | Southwest corner, West Terrace | early twentieth century, late nineteenth century, mid nineteenth century

  15. Art Gallery of South Australia

    The classical building of the Art Gallery of South Australia, with its gracious colonnaded portico, is one of the cultural landmarks on North Terrace. 

    Historical Place | By Margaret Anderson, History SA | North Terrace | 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2010, 2010s

  16. Aurora Hotel

    The Aurora Hotel – its demolition was a watershed in heritage conservation in Adelaide with statewide repercussions

    Historical Place | By Peter Bell | 1850s, 1890s, 1980s

  17. Austral Hotel

    Constructed from east to west in January 1880, Adelaide’s most distinctive commercial complex of14 shops and hotel, heading west along Rundle Street, was built for The South Australian Company.

    Historical Place | By Hannah Stewart, History Trust of South Australia | Rundle Street east | early twentieth century, late nineteenth century, late twentieth century, mid twentieth century

  18. Australian Imperial Forces (AIF) Cemetery

    Exclusively for the burial of ex-service personnel, the Australian Imperial Forces (AIF) Cemetery was the first dedicated military cemetery in Australia.

    Historical Place | By Owen Hems | West Terrace | early twentieth century, mid twentieth century

  19. Ayers House

    Acquired and extended on the back of copper mining from the mid 1840s, Ayers House has had three main occupancies since the early twentieth century

    Historical Place | By Peter Bell | North Terrace | early twentieth century, early twenty–first century, late nineteenth century, late twentieth century, mid nineteenth century, mid twentieth century

  20. Beehive Corner

    Built in 1896, Beehive Corner with its Neo-Gothic facade has been a famous meeting spot since the early 20th century.

    Historical Place | By Alexander Parsons, History Trust of South Australia | Rundle Mall | 1840s, 1890s, 1990s

  21. Bethlehem Lutheran Church

    The Evangelical Lutheran Bethlehem Church opened on 23 June 1872, this church is associated with the German migrant community. Its bell tower was intended to house three bells.

    Historical Place

  22. Bonython Hall

    Since 1936 this hall in Gothic style has served the University of Adelaide and the community

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | North Terrace | 1920s, 1930s, 2000-2010

  23. Botanic Park

    Botanic Park has blossomed as a place for informal family gatherings and a venue for public events

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | Parklands | 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2010, 2010s, 2020s, Aboriginal Country pre-contact

  24. Brookman Building

    Developing technical education via a School of Mines and Industries leading to SAIT and then UniSA

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | North Terrace | 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910

  25. Brown Street

    Brown Street, running from South Terrace to Grote Street, morphed into Morphett Street in 1967 but the area retains its out-of-the-way feel

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | Southwest corner | 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, early twenty–first century

  26. Carclew

    The youth arts centre Carclew was the starting point of McDouall Stuart’s expedition across Australia in 1861

    Historical Place | By Peter Bell | 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2010, 2010s

  27. Central Market

    The Central Market is a distinctively Adelaide institution, renowned for fine food and produce and a bustling cosmopolitan atmosphere

    Historical Place | By Peter Bell | Central Market | 1860s, early twentieth century, early twenty–first century, late nineteenth century, late twentieth century, mid twentieth century

  28. Chalmers Church Free Church of Scotland

    The second oldest remaining church in Adelaide, Scots Church is still in use today.

    Historical Place | By Hannah Stewart, History Trust of South Australia | North Terrace | 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, early twentieth century

  29. Cheer-Up Hut

    It started in a tent and grew – meals, clothes, accommodation and recreation for servicemen on the move.

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | Parklands | 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s

  30. Church of Archangels Michael and Gabriel

    The Church of Archangels Michael and Gabriel stands on the site of Adelaide's oldest Greek Orthodox Church and remains an important centre for Greek cultural and community life in the city. 

    Historical Place | By Vedrana Budimir, History SA | Southwest corner | early twentieth century, late twentieth century, mid twentieth century

Pages