1. King William Street

    Celebration, commemoration and protest happen amid the grand buildings that line Adelaide's main thoroughfare

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2010, 2010s

  2. Liberal Club Building

    The facade is all that remains of the former Liberal Club building.

    Historical Place

  3. Light Square/ Wauwi

    Originally intended as a recreational garden oasis from the surrounding city, Light Square, however, developed a reputation for prostitution, drinking and violence.

    Historical Place | By Owen Hems | Northwest corner | early nineteenth century, early twentieth century, early twenty–first century, late nineteenth century, late twentieth century, mid nineteenth century, mid twentieth century

  4. Maralinga

    The main site for joint Australian–British nuclear weapons tests in Australia lies 800 kilometres north-west of Adelaide on the southern edge of the Great Victoria Desert. 

    Historical Place | By Peter Morton | early twenty–first century, late twentieth century, mid twentieth century

  5. Mars Bar

    Adelaide’s longest running gay venue, located at 120 Gouger Street and known, until recently, as the Mars Bar, first opened in December 1976.

    Historical Place | By Nikki Sullivan, Migration Museum | Southwest corner | 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2010, 2010s, mid twentieth century

  6. Migration Museum

    Opened in 1986 the Migration Museum in Adelaide was a world first.

    Historical Place | By Catherine Manning, Migration Museum | North Terrace | 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2010, 2010s

  7. Mitchell Building

    The 'University Building' has served many functions since it opened in 1882

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | North Terrace | 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1920s, 1930s, 1960s, 1970s

  8. Montefiore Hill

    Montefiore Hill, overlooking the city planned by Colonel William Light, was named after South Australian Colonization Commissioner Jacob Montefiore

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | Parklands | 1830s, 1840s, 1880s, 1930s

  9. Morphett Street

    Morphett Street, named after prominent South Australian colonist Sir John Morphett, was a street in Colonel Light’s Plan of Adelaide in 1837 but in August 1967 it was extended to include Brown Street

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | 1830s

  10. Museum of Economic Botany

    Opening in 1881 in the Adelaide Botanic Garden, the Museum of Economic Botany offers many exhibits outlining the practical and economic use of plant materials. It was the pride of Director Richard Schomburgk, whose international network of like-minded botanists ensured a wealth of content. Though by the early twentieth century the museum was dismissed as quaint and antiquated, and remains today comparatively unknown, its striking Greek revival façade still strikes an imposing figure on the grounds of the Botanic Garden.


     

    Historical Place | By Alexander Parsons, History Trust of South Australia | Parklands | 1880s

  11. National Wine Centre

    The National Wine Centre combines eye-catching architecture and smooth functionality to create an exciting tourism venue which showcases the Australian wine industry ' from the vine to the bottle'.  

    Historical Place | By Open House Adelaide | North Terrace | 2000-2010

  12. Newmarket Hotel

    The Newmarket Hotel occupies town acre 1 on the corner of West Terrace and North Terrace, close to where Colonel William Light began his survey of the city in January 1837.

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia

  13. North Terrace East

    North Terrace east is Adelaide’s premier cultural boulevard

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | North Terrace | 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2010, 2010s

  14. North Terrace West

    Stretching from Adelaide’s first survey point to Parliament House, the character of this part of North Terrace continues to evolve

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | North Terrace | 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, early twenty–first century

  15. Old Parliament House

    The site of countless debates, Old Parliament House dates from 1855

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | North Terrace | 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2010, 2010s

  16. Palm House

    Built in 1877 as a greenhouse for tropical plants, the Palm House was immediately hailed as the pride of the Adelaide Botanic Garden, and even of the city of Adelaide itself. It was the prized achievement of Dr Richard Schomburgk, the second and most renowned Director of the Botanic Garden. While it no longer houses tropical plants as originally intended, its restoration in the 1990s has meant that the Palm House is still a prominent part of the Botanic Garden experience.  It remains as the only known extant German-built glasshouse of the period anywhere in the world. 

    Historical Place | By Alexander Parsons, History Trust of South Australia | Parklands | 1870s

  17. Parklands

    An ongoing source of enjoyment and controversy, the parklands are a unique and remarkably intact feature of Adelaide

    Historical Place | By Peter Bell | Parklands

  18. Parliament House

    The scene of pomp and ceremony, debates and demonstrations

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | North Terrace | 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1930s, 1950s

  19. Pilgrim Uniting Church

    The Church is a beautiful example of Revival Gothic, quite rare in South Australia. Features include the largest church pipe organ in the state and many magnificent stained glass windows

    Historical Place | By Open House Adelaide | 1860s

  20. Pirie Street

    Pirie Street has been home to cottages, churches, commerce and clubs

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | 1930s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, early twentieth century, late nineteenth century, mid nineteenth century

  21. Pirie Street Methodist Church

    Pirie Street Methodist Church was the ‘cathedral church’ of Methodism in Adelaide.

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | late nineteenth century

  22. Pirltawardli

    Pirltawardli, (possum home) is the site of the first Christian mission to Aboriginal people in South Australia.

    Historical Place | By Rhondda Harris | Parklands | 1840s

  23. Princess Elizabeth Playground

    The Princess Elizabeth Playground was opened in 1929. 

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia

  24. Public Libraries

    South Australia was unique among the Australian colonies in that the South Australian Literary and Scientific Association assembled a subscription library before the settlers left Britain.

    Historical Place | By Carl Bridge and Michael Talbot | North Terrace | early twentieth century, late nineteenth century, late twentieth century, mid nineteenth century, mid twentieth century

  25. Queen's College

    Designed in 1892, Queen’s School became one of South Australia’s leading private schools.

    Historical Place | By Cindy Crook, History Trust of South Australia | 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2010, 2010s

  26. Queen's Theatre

    Built in 1840, the Queen's Theatre is the oldest surviving theatre building in Adelaide. 

    Historical Place | By Catherine Manning and James Hunter, History Trust of South Australia | Northwest corner | 1840s

  27. Rex Theatre

    Opening in 1933, inheriting the place of a cinema which had existed on the spot since 1910, the Rex Theatre was a popular cinema on Rundle Street that was demolished in 1961.

    Historical Place | By Alexander Parsons, History Trust of South Australia | Rundle Mall | 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s

  28. River Torrens

    The River Torrens has dominated the development of Adelaide and its metropolis, often in subtle or little recognised ways

    Historical Place | By CR Twidale, University of Adelaide | River Torrens | 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2010, 2010s

  29. Rundle Street

    Rundle Street has been a centre of shops and arcades, theatre and cafes, as well as acrimonious debate

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | Rundle Mall, Rundle Street east | early nineteenth century, early twentieth century, early twenty–first century, late nineteenth century, late twentieth century, mid nineteenth century, mid twentieth century

  30. Saint Mary's Dominican Convent and School

    Saint Mary's Convent and School is one of several historically significant Catholic church buildings and religious community residences based on Franklin Street and West Terrace. 

    Historical Place | By Vedrana Budimir, History SA | Southwest corner | early twentieth century, late nineteenth century, late twentieth century, mid nineteenth century, mid twentieth century

Pages