1. Church of Archangels Michael and Gabriel

    The Church of Archangels Michael and Gabriel stands on the site of Adelaide's oldest Greek Orthodox Church and remains an important centre for Greek cultural and community life in the city. 

    Historical Place | By Vedrana Budimir, History Trust of South Australia | Southwest corner | early twentieth century, late twentieth century, mid twentieth century

  2. CML Building

    On the prominent corner of King William Street and Hindley Street, the Colonial Mutual Life (CML) Building is one of Adelaide’s most iconic structures.

    Historical Place | By Alexander Parsons, History Trust of South Australia | Hindley Street, Rundle Mall | 1930s, 2010s, Great Depression

  3. Crown and Anchor Hotel

    The current hotspot for alternative and grunge music has a colourful criminal history

    Historical Place | By Hannah Stewart, History Trust of South Australia | 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s

  4. Darling Building

    The Darling Building on Franklin Street was built for John Darling and Son in 1916 and was designed by architect EH McMichael.

    Historical Place | By Catherine Manning, History Trust of South Australia

  5. Destitute Asylum

    Relief for the poor, the pregnant and the unemployed was a theme from the colony’s commencement

    Historical Place | By Mary-Louise Geyer | North Terrace | 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1910s

  6. Dunmoochin

    Dunmoochin, built around 1858, was the home of Irish emigrants John and Honora Griffin and their three children. It is an example of the many workers’ cottages built in the West End. 

    Historical Place | By Vedrana Budimir, History Trust of South Australia | Southwest corner | 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s

  7. East End Market

    The East End Market was Adelaide’s first formal fruit and vegetable market. 

    Historical Place | By Alexander Parsons, History Trust of South Australia | East Terrace | 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s

  8. East Parklands

    Despite an inauspicious start as a dumping ground for waste, the East Parklands gradually developed as an attractive centre for recreation in the city. 

    Historical Place | By Margaret Anderson, History Trust of South Australia | East Terrace, Rundle Street east, Southeast corner | 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2010, 2010s

  9. East Terrace

    A street in an area of contrasts - the rich, the poor, society figures, outcasts, business, leisure, health and education are associated with East Terrace

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | East Terrace | 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, Aboriginal Country pre-contact, early twenty–first century

  10. Edmund Wright House

    Edmund Wright House was built in 1878 as the headquarters of the Bank of South Australia. 

    Historical Place | By Alexander Parsons, History Trust of South Australia | 1870s, 1970s

  11. Elder Hall

    Elder Hall on Morialta Street, between Grote Street and Franklin Street, is the home of the Adelaide Benevolent and Strangers’ Friend Society.

    Historical Place | By Catherine Manning, History Trust of South Australia

  12. Elder Hall

    The simple exterior of Elder Hall belies the richness of its interior and the resonance of its organ

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | North Terrace | 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 2000-2010

  13. Elder House

    Elder House was built for Elder Smith and Co, and still bears the name though the company has merged with other businesses, evolved, and relocated. 

    Historical Place | By Catherine Manning and Pat Stretton

  14. Elder Park

    From dumping ground to pleasure gardens

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | Parklands | 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2010, 2020s

  15. Elder Park migrant hostel

    Right in the centre of the city, Elder Park was a first stopping point for many new migrants arriving in South Australia.

    Historical Place | By Dr Karen Agutter, the University of Adelaide, & Catherine Manning, Migration Museum | Parklands | 1940s, 1950s, 1960s

  16. Emigration Square

    Care for migrants, the unemployed and the destitute was evident from South Australia’s foundation days.

    Historical Place | By Kate Walsh | Northwest corner | 1830s, 1840s

  17. Exhibition Building and Grounds

    Now lost, the Exhibition Building once dominated North Terrace

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | North Terrace | 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s

  18. First Church of Christ, Scientist, Adelaide

    Opened in 1957 for 360 people with a Sunday school for 300, the church has a marble porch and a 21.3m impressive entrance foyer

    Historical Place | By Open House Adelaide | North Terrace | 1950s

  19. Flinders St Baptist Church

    Flinders Street Baptist Church opened on 26 April 1863.

    Historical Place

  20. Flinders Street

    From ‘City of Churches’ to the ‘City of Cars’, Flinders Street reflects changes in Adelaide

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | 1830s, 1840s, 1860s, 1870s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, early twenty–first century

  21. Freemasons Grand Lodge

    Completed in 1927 the Freemasons Grand Lodge, or Masonic Centre, is a well known landmark on North Terrace.

    Historical Place | By Catherine Manning, History Trust of South Australia | North Terrace | 1920s

  22. Glover Playground

    The creation of playgrounds was a manifestation of moves for healthier environments for young children living in cities and suburbs

    Historical Place | By Peter Bell | East Terrace, South Terrace

  23. Goodman Crescent- University of Adelaide

    The University of Adelaide is a commanding presence on North Terrace. It began in 1874 when South Australia was less than 40 years old, with a population of about 200,000 people.

    Historical Place | By South Australian School for Vision Impaired (SASVI) | North Terrace

  24. Government House

    One of Adelaide’s oldest buildings, Government House welcomes thousands of visitors each year

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | North Terrace | 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1970s, 1980s, 2000-2010

  25. Grenfell Street Power Station

    Now home to Tandanya, this building opened in 1901 as the Grenfell Street Power Station Building.

    Historical Place | By James Hunter, History Trust of South Australia | East Terrace | 1900-1910

  26. Grote Street

    Her Majesty’s Theatre and the Central Market continue to attract people to Grote Street

    Historical Place | By Margaret Anderson and Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | Central Market | 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2010, 2010s

  27. Hellenic Club

    The Hellenic Club on Morphett Street is one of several social venues established by the Greek community in Adelaide.

    Historical Place | By Vedrana Budimir, History Trust of South Australia | Southwest corner | late twentieth century, mid twentieth century

  28. Hindley Street

    An eclectic mix since foundation, Hindley Street has seen it all

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | Hindley Street | 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2010, 2010s

  29. Hindmarsh Square / Mukata

    Hindmarsh Square, located in the north-east of Adelaide, was one of the six squares designed by Colonel William Light in his 1837 plan of Adelaide. Originally designed as an oasis from the surrounding city, the Square would, however, see it’s size reduced and its lawns intersected by both Pulteney and Grenfell streets as transport and the city developed around it. Despite this, Hindmarsh Square continues to serve its intended purpose as an area of respite from its urban surrounding. 

    Historical Place | By Owen Hems | early nineteenth century, early twentieth century, early twenty–first century, late nineteenth century, late twentieth century, mid nineteenth century, mid twentieth century

  30. Holy Trinity Church

    Holy Trinity Church is the earliest surviving Anglican Church building in South Australia, and one of Adelaide’s oldest standing structures.

    Historical Place | By James Hunter, History Trust of South Australia | North Terrace | 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2010, 2010s

Pages