1. Adelaide Botanic Garden

    The Adelaide Botanic Garden is a tranquil retreat within the city.

    Historical Place | By Margaret Anderson, History Trust of South Australia | East Terrace

  2. Adelaide Fruit and Produce Exchange

    The striking facade from Adelaide’s private produce market in the north east corner of the city remains a city landmark, though the market itself no longer operates.

    Historical Place | By Hannah Stewart, History Trust of South Australia | East Terrace | 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s

  3. Adelaide Gaol

    One of South Australia's earliest buildings and home to over 300 000 people from 1841 to 1988, Adelaide Gaol is one of Australia's longest operating prisons.

    Historical Place | By Rhiannon Agutter, History Trust of South Australia | Parklands | 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s

  4. Adelaide Workmen's Homes

    Cottages built for workers through a bequest from businessman and philanthropist Sir Thomas Elder

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | Southeast corner | 1890s, 1900-1910, 1960s, 1970s

  5. Botanic Park

    Botanic Park has blossomed as a place for informal family gatherings and a venue for public events

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | Parklands | 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2010, 2010s, 2020s, Aboriginal Country pre-contact

  6. Cheer-Up Hut

    It started in a tent and grew – meals, clothes, accommodation and recreation for servicemen on the move.

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | Parklands | 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s

  7. East End Market

    The East End Market was Adelaide’s first formal fruit and vegetable market. 

    Historical Place | By Alexander Parsons, History Trust of South Australia | East Terrace | 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s

  8. East Parklands

    Despite an inauspicious start as a dumping ground for waste, the East Parklands gradually developed as an attractive centre for recreation in the city. 

    Historical Place | By Margaret Anderson, History Trust of South Australia | East Terrace, Rundle Street east, Southeast corner | 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2010, 2010s

  9. East Terrace

    A street in an area of contrasts - the rich, the poor, society figures, outcasts, business, leisure, health and education are associated with East Terrace

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | East Terrace | 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, Aboriginal Country pre-contact, early twenty–first century

  10. Elder Park

    From dumping ground to pleasure gardens

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | Parklands | 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2010, 2020s

  11. Elder Park migrant hostel

    Right in the centre of the city, Elder Park was a first stopping point for many new migrants arriving in South Australia.

    Historical Place | By Dr Karen Agutter, the University of Adelaide, & Catherine Manning, Migration Museum | Parklands | 1940s, 1950s, 1960s

  12. Glover Playground

    The creation of playgrounds was a manifestation of moves for healthier environments for young children living in cities and suburbs

    Historical Place | By Peter Bell | East Terrace, South Terrace

  13. Grenfell Street Power Station

    Now home to Tandanya, this building opened in 1901 as the Grenfell Street Power Station Building.

    Historical Place | By James Hunter, History Trust of South Australia | East Terrace | 1900-1910

  14. Hurtle Square / Tangkaira

    Located in the south-east of Adelaide on the Kaurna peoples land of Tandayangga (place of the Red Kangaroo Dreaming), Hurtle Square was one of the six squares designed by Colonel William Light in his 1837 plan of Adelaide. 

    Historical Place | By Owen Hems | Southeast corner | early nineteenth century, early twentieth century, early twenty–first century, late nineteenth century, late twentieth century, mid nineteenth century, mid twentieth century

  15. Montefiore Hill

    Montefiore Hill, overlooking the city planned by Colonel William Light, was named after South Australian Colonization Commissioner Jacob Montefiore

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | Parklands | 1830s, 1840s, 1880s, 1930s

  16. Museum of Economic Botany

    The Museum of Economic Botany features exhibits outlining the practical and economic use of plant materials. 


     

    Historical Place | By Alexander Parsons, History Trust of South Australia | Parklands | 1880s

  17. Palm House

    Built in 1877 as a greenhouse for tropical plants, the Palm House was immediately hailed as the pride of the Adelaide Botanic Garden, and even of the city of Adelaide itself. It was the prized achievement of Dr Richard Schomburgk, the second and most renowned Director of the Botanic Garden. While it no longer houses tropical plants as originally intended, its restoration in the 1990s has meant that the Palm House is still a prominent part of the Botanic Garden experience.  It remains as the only known extant German-built glasshouse of the period anywhere in the world. 

    Historical Place | By Alexander Parsons, History Trust of South Australia | Parklands | 1870s

  18. Parklands

    An ongoing source of enjoyment and controversy, the parklands are a unique and remarkably intact feature of Adelaide

    Historical Place | By Peter Bell | Parklands

  19. Pirltawardli

    Pirltawardli, (possum home) is the site of the first Christian mission to Aboriginal people in South Australia.

    Historical Place | By Rhondda Harris | Parklands | 1840s

  20. Tandanya

    Originally built in 1921 as a power station and office for the Adelaide Electric Supply Company, today this beautiful building houses Tandanya, Adelaide’s Aboriginal Cultural Institution 

    Historical Place | By James Hunter, History Trust of South Australia | East Terrace | 1920s

  21. The Space Between

    Simple stone stands as a reminder of a painful past history. 

    Historical Place | By Corinne Ball, Migration Museum | Parklands

  22. Wirrarninthi/Park 23

    Wirrarninthi/Park 23 is the site of a Kaurna food and medicine trail, a playground for children, and sporting facilities.

    Historical Place | By Tennille Anderson, Linnell Hopkins, April Mears and Caitlin Videon, Australian Environmental History Course, Flinders University of South Australia and Jude Elton, History SA | Parklands, Southwest corner, West Terrace | early twentieth century, early twenty–first century, late nineteenth century, late twentieth century, mid nineteenth century, mid twentieth century