1. Adelaide Gaol

    One of South Australia's earliest buildings and home to over 300 000 people from 1841 to 1988, Adelaide Gaol is one of Australia's longest operating prisons.

    Historical Place | By Rhiannon Agutter, History Trust of South Australia | Parklands | 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s

  2. Botanic Park

    Botanic Park has blossomed as a place for informal family gatherings and a venue for public events

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | Parklands | 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2010, 2010s, 2020s, Aboriginal Country pre-contact

  3. Elder Park

    From dumping ground to pleasure gardens

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | Parklands | 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2010, 2020s

  4. Grote Street

    Her Majesty’s Theatre and the Central Market continue to attract people to Grote Street

    Historical Place | By Margaret Anderson and Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | Central Market | 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2010, 2010s

  5. Hindley Street

    An eclectic mix since foundation, Hindley Street has seen it all

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | Hindley Street | 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2010, 2010s

  6. Palm House

    Built in 1877 as a greenhouse for tropical plants, the Palm House was immediately hailed as the pride of the Adelaide Botanic Garden, and even of the city of Adelaide itself. It was the prized achievement of Dr Richard Schomburgk, the second and most renowned Director of the Botanic Garden. While it no longer houses tropical plants as originally intended, its restoration in the 1990s has meant that the Palm House is still a prominent part of the Botanic Garden experience.  It remains as the only known extant German-built glasshouse of the period anywhere in the world. 

    Historical Place | By Alexander Parsons, History Trust of South Australia | Parklands | 1870s

  7. Torrens Building

    Built in 1881, this heritage-listed building on Victoria Square has long captured the public's imagination with tales of secret tunnels.

    Historical Place | By Alexander Parsons, History Trust of South Australia | Central Market | 1870s, 1880s