Contribute

Victoria Park was the first official racetrack in South Australia, the earliest meeting was held there in 1846. It was then simply known as the Eastern Parklands track, it was not until 1871 that it was officially named Victoria Park.

The Victoria Park Grandstand was constructed in 1882. Further developments followed with entrance gates, turnstile building, kiosk and an Adelaide Racing Club office building constructed through the early twentieth century.

Recent Years

The last race meeting at Victoria Park was in December 2007. Many of the early structures have since been demolished.

The park is now a venue for the Adelaide International Horse Trials and is part of the Adelaide Street Circuit used during the Clipsal 500 motor race.

By Catherine Manning, History Trust of South Australia

Add media
Images
Image: Construction of a grandstand with old vehicle in the foreground.

Victoria Park Grandstand

Images
Image: large crowd of people in open building
Image : Men in suits inspecting construction site.

Victoria Park Race Track

Images
Image: large crowd of people at horse race track
Image: crowd under umbrellas at race track
Image: Dirt track and group of buildings
Image: large crowd of people at horse race track
Image: large crowd of people at horse race track
Add story