Elder Hall on Morialta Street, between Grote Street and Franklin Street, is the home of the Adelaide Benevolent and Strangers’ Friend Society. Like its more well known name sake at the The University of Adelaide, this building was named after Sir Thomas Elder. 

The the Adelaide Benevolent and Strangers’ Friend Society formed in 1849 to help people sleeping rough, and others struggling with little funds in the young city of Adelaide. In 1869 they began acquiring housing in the West End to rent at low rates to people in need. 

It was a bequest from Sir Thomas Elder that allowed the society to erect this building in 1898. The society continues today and it supports those in need with low cost housing. It has more than 195 rental properties across metropolitan Adelaide and refugees, domestic violence victims and the unemployed are among the society's tenants.

By Catherine Manning, History Trust of South Australia

Add media
Image: brick building with peaked front
Add story