Contribute

Andrew Tennant (1835–1913) was the son of a Scottish shepherd who had come to South Australia as an assisted migrant in 1839 and established ‘Tallala’ station near Port Lincoln. On the death of his father, Tennant took over ‘Tallala’ and acquired a number of properties on Eyre Peninsula and in the Far North, some in partnership with his brother-in-law, John Love. He had large interests in several mining companies and was a director of the Adelaide Steamship Co., the Commercial Bank of South Australia and the China Traders Co. Tennant sat in the House of Assembly (1898–1902) and Legislative Council; he bred and raced horses and was a Freemason. In 1862 he married Rachael Christina Ferguson; his children consolidated the family’s position through marriage into the gentry families of South Australia.  

By Dirk van Dissel

This entry was first published in The Wakefield companion to South Australian History edited by Wilfrid Prest, Kerrie Round and Carol Fort (Adelaide: Wakefield Press, 2001). Edited lightly. Uploaded 25 August 2015.

Add media
Images
Image: head and shoulders portrait of a man with a beard
Image: bearded man in suit leaning against pedestal with book on it
Add story