Silver cup made to commemorate the coronation of King William IV and Queen Adelaide.
This cup was presented to the Art Gallery of South Australia by Queen Mary as part of Empire-wide celebrations for the Silver Jubilee of George V in 1935. The cup, which commemorated the coronation of William IV had symbolic significance for the history of the establishment of the colony of South Australia and the city of Adelaide, named after the wife of William IV. The cup was transferred to the History Trust of South Australia as part of the Historical Relics collection in 1984.
This cup symbolises not one, but two coronations, as it was intended to represent the continuity of South Australia's links with the British empire from the beginnings of the colony of South Australia to reign of George V. Celebrations like Empire Days and Jubilees with special gifts such as this cup were intended to serve as a reminder of the ongoing relationship between Britain and South Australia formed through history, culture, and political and social institutions. The cup is also a telling example of how the British monarchy as an institution provided a recognisable, unifying figurehead for the Empire.
Cup made to commemorate the coronation of King William IV and Queen Adelaide in 1831. Lip is wider than the body of the cup which flutes to a billow at the base, with a broad stem. Two medallions are attached on opposite sides of the cup. One shows the bust of King William IV in profile, marked 'William the Fourth crowned Sep. 8 1831'. The other shows the bust of Queen Adelaide, marked 'Adelaide Queen Consort crowned Sep. 8 1831'. Both medallions have beadwork on the rim and are surmounted by a crown. In between them on one side there is an engraving of the royal coat of arms. In between them on the other side is the patent silver mark. The base has the numbers '79551' engraved into it.